As the summer heat intensifies, taking extra care to protect our hair and skin from the sun is essential. Summer-proof your beauty routine with these 3 simple tips to achieve nourished, healthy hair and skin all season long!
Make Your Own Ayurvedic Hair Protection Spray
A sundrenched, summer day is the perfect excuse to trade in your usual indoor routine for an afternoon spent soaking up some rays. But the harsh rays of the sun can leave hair brittle, dry, and prone to damage. One effective way to protect your tresses is with a homemade, Ayurvedic Hair Protection Spray. Here's a simple recipe you can try:
- 1 cup distilled water
- 1-2 tablespoons organic grapeseed oil
- A few drops of your favorite essential oil
- In a spray bottle, combine the distilled water and grapeseed oil
- Add a few drops of essential oil for added benefits and an uplifting, aromatic boost. A few of our favorites are Amla (Gooseberry) Oil to stimulate hair growth, Neroli Oil for its sebum-balancing and antibacterial properties, Jasmine Flower Oil to help calm any frizz or fly-aways, and Palmarosa Oil to alleviate dandruff or dryness and strengthen hair follicles from the root!
- Shake the bottle well to ensure all ingredients are mixed thoroughly
- Before heading out in the sun, generously spray the mixture onto your hair, focusing on the ends and any exposed areas
- Reapply every few hours for maximum protection
Grapeseed Oil holds an incredible amount of hair and skin benefits. One of Grapeseed Oil’s most powerful benefits is its naturally high concentration of antioxidants which allows it to help protect hair from UV damage. Overexposure to the sun can break down the hair’s outer layer of lipids designed to provide natural protection from environmental damage (UV rays, free radicals, pollutants, chemicals including chlorine from pool water, etc.) and cause hair to become discolored, dry and brittle, and unable to retain moisture. Grapeseed Oil’s high concentration of antioxidants defend hair from these elements while providing deep, lasting moisture. It’s rich in Vitamin E and omegas that can strengthen brittle hair and restore shine as well as flavonoids and linoleic acid which help to stimulate new hair growth! And best of all- it’s a lightweight oil which gives it an advantage over other hair oils that may otherwise weigh hair down.
Keep Your Face Out of The Sun!
UV exposure takes a major toll on our skin health. Prolonged exposure to the sun can accelerate the aging process of the skin, leading to symptoms of premature aging including wrinkles, fine lines, sun spots, and hyperpigmentation. If you are going to be spending more time in the sun in the summer months, proper protection is key.
- Seek shade! Whether you’re lounging poolside or embarking on an outdoor adventure, look for natural shade provided by trees or an umbrella or wear a hat (the bigger the brim the better!) to keep your face out of the sun.
- When engaging in outdoor activities where shade is limited, UV clothing is a great option. From boleros to layer over your workout set to button-down sun shirts that can be worn as a swimsuit cover up, there are plenty of sun-safe options on the market for keeping things chic while providing temperature regulation and UV protection.
- Apply sunscreen generously. Opt for a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a SPF of 50 or higher and apply it to your face and body daily. Reapply every two hours or more frequently if you're sweating or swimming.
Priti Tip: If wearing makeup, reach for products that include SPF! Many of todays’ foundation, concealer, blush, and lip balm options are formulated with SPF to provide an extra layer of protection. Remember- this shouldn’t be used in place of your daily facial sunscreen, but rather as an added layer of defense.
Deeply Hydrate with SundaSkin™
SundaSkin™, our all-in-one serum, combines Ayurvedic ingredients such as White Snow Mushroom and Laminaria Saccharina (Kelp) with a blend of technologically advanced actives to deeply hydrate and lock in moisture. We recommend applying ½ a dropperful to clean skin before sunscreen daily to create the perfect hydrated base.
Priti Tip: While proper prep for sun exposure is vital, pampering your skin and hair after sun-exposure is equally important! If a day in the sun leaves you with an unfortunate sunburn, combine a few drops of SundaSkin™ with organic aloe vera gel for instant relief. Aloe vera’s cooling sensation will calm the skin while the serum provides deep hydration to help expedite the healing process.
While most commonly used as a skin serum, this dual-purpose formula makes the perfect hair serum to provide parched summer strands with a dose of hydration and protection!
How To Use:
- Take 1 dropperful of SundaSkin™ and warm it between your palms
- Gently run your hands through your hair, focusing on the ends
- Comb your hair to distribute the product evenly
- Repeat application after swimming or excessive sweating
Making SundaSkin™ The Essential Hydrating Serum a part of your self care routine for the summer is the key to keeping a radiant glow while maintaining long term skin and hair health.
A little preparation goes a long way in order to enjoy long, sunny days without your hair and skin paying the price. Whatever your summer plans may hold: whether you’re taking a well-deserved break from school, cashing in that PTO, or prepping for beach days and BBQ’s ahead, remember to prioritize your wellbeing first. Wishing you a safe, healthy summer from Prakti. 💜